Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Speech Codes

Last Friday in Issues, we worked on Speech Codes.  Speech Codes are limitations to the right to speech  when it comes to fight words words, racial slur, and verbal abuse.  Most colleges in America believe that having speech codes is perfect for their environment so there will be no disruptions and chaos.  It also protects students from danger.  However, there are people who oppose it because they believe that it loses the right for people to say whatever they want. 
In class, we saw a slideshow of teenagers coloring their face with Black make up to imitate African Americans and post it on the web.  The teenagers also posted a teenager with black make up and being lynched.  I believed those images were an outrage because it gave no respect to African Americans.  Not only was it an outrage, it was also discriminating African Americans by reliving the tragedies of the Civil Rights era.
Also, we checked out colleges that have red, yellow, and green lights.  Red light means that they have speech codes, yellow lights means not a lot of speech codes, and green light has only a couple of speech codes.  I was happy that the college, harvard university, was a red light school.  It influenced me because if I ever wanted to go their, I will not be offended by any racial slurs and I will be protected from fight words, harassment, and misconduct.   The speech codes are legal.
The organization that looks at colleges with speech codes is really good on spreadintg the awareness of speech codes in colleges.  The organization gave me the opportunity to which collge I can go to and and be safe at.  I agree with its perspectivesand what constitutes as speech codes.  The codes protect students like me.
There is a difference between fighting words, verbal abuse, and racial slurs from expressing your beliefs and opinions respectfully. 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home